Achamore House is a grand baronial mansion built in 1884 by Captain James Scarlett, set in the midst of 50 acres of the magnificent Achamore Gardens, which were chiefly created by Col. Sir James Horlick during his ownership of Gigha from 1944 till 1972.
Achamore House has 11 bedrooms to let, with nearly all of them offering spacious and luxurious accommodation. Charles Rennie Mackintosh was a young trainee architect at the Glaswegian firm of architects that designed and built Achamore House, and there are various elements to be found here that are believed to be the work of the young Mackintosh. Certainly the rooms and halls of Achamore House are unusually light and spacious, and well-proportioned.
The gardens are famed worldwide for the rhododendrons, as well as their many rare species of trees and other shrubs. Gigha has one of the warmest climates in Scotland, and many sub-tropical plants are to be found in the gardens.
Don & Emma Dennis (the owners) live in Achamore House, and provide Bed and Breakfast accommodation year round (except for Christmas and New Years) on this beautiful Hebridean island. Please note, Achamore House does not take dogs.
Click on any of the photos on our website to enlarge them.